Senate discusses USC game expectations, sexual assault

first_imgStudent Senate discussed preparations for the upcoming USC football game, sexual assault and its relation to alcohol and the “4 to 5 Movement” at its meeting Wednesday night. Athletic Director Jack Swarbrick spoke to the Senate about students’ actions and behavior during the USC night game on Oct. 22. Swarbrick said one of the reasons Notre Dame has not hosted a night game in 21 years is because of the incidents that frequently surrounded the games. However, he hopes that will change after this game. “We want to have the opportunity to do future night games because it allows us to promote the University so much more effectively,” Swarbrick said. On a game day against a popular rival with a 3:30 p.m. kickoff, approximately 2.5 million people watch the game on NBC. With a 7:30 p.m. kickoff, between 5 and 6 million people will watch, giving Notre Dame a much larger audience for its commercials, Swarbrick said. Swarbrick, who also spoke in both dining halls during the lunch hours Wednesday, said students should arrive at the Stadium “game ready,” fresh and alert. “We want to have a spectacular evening a week from Saturday when we play USC,” he said. “We want a stadium full of noise and excitement that helps us win an important game. It should be a day that celebrates Notre Dame and its values.” In order to encourage intelligent decisions before the game, Swarbrick said the University will hold more activities around campus during the day, including additional musical acts and opportunities to interact with the players. Director of Game Day Operations Mike Seamon said all post-game Masses are going to become pre-game Masses. The Mass in the Basilica will be held at 4:30 p.m. For students who are returning to campus after fall break on Saturday, Seamon said NDSP would send an email to the student body detailing the procedures for driving onto campus. “The only thing I can say is don’t come back late. If you’re coming back that day, come back early,” he said. “As the day goes on, with 100,000 people traffic is always the biggest circumstance.” Although Seamon is predicting around 105 to 120 thousand people will be on campus, he said there will be close to the normal amount of ushers and University personnel around Notre Dame. “You won’t see a noticeable increase in [Stadium personnel], but we’ll have enough there to handle the situation,” Seamon said. Seamon said the focus of the day should be keeping an eye on friends. “Our biggest network is the people around you who can take care of you,” he said. “Be a network for your friends.” He recommended the use of Notre Dame’s help line. On a game day, Seamon said students and visitors can text “Irish” to 69050, along with their location, and University personnel will be sent to that area. “If there’s an issue, anything at all, whether it’s medical or you’re a visitor and need directions, or there’s someone who’s bothering you,” he said. “It comes straight to the command center and we can dispatch resources to you right away.” Although senators inquired about the proposed student “green-out,” Swarbrick said the University is not endorsing the wearing of a particular color. Following the game day discussion, Dr. G David Moss and Sr. Sue Dunn, co-chairs of the Committee on Sexual Prevention, called on students to become more active in the fight against sexual assault. Moss emphasized the close connection between alcohol abuse and sexual violence. “On this campus last year, every incident of sexual assault that was taken to ResLife involved alcohol on the part of one or both of the parties,” Moss said. Moss said alcohol has ingrained itself in campus culture, a fact that inevitably brings up the issue of sexual assault. “When you have alcohol consumption and a physically permissive culture bad things can happen,” he said. “You have a very slim line between what is sexual aggression and sexual violence.” Dunn said the key to combating these issues is to hold discussions on the connection between alcohol and sexual assault. “What we’re really challenging people to do is to engage in honest conversation certainly among closest friends first, and then to start to mix it up,” Dunn said. The effort to raise awareness needs to come directly from student leaders, Moss said, for they are the greatest influence on their peers. “It’s going to take a lot of effort, a lot of sacrifice and a lot of you stepping up and saying we’re going to change this culture, we’re going to change this environment,” Moss said. Alex Coccia, co-president of Progressive Student Alliance (PSA), then brought up another concern of the student body — the “4 to 5 Campaign.” Coccia and members of PSA recently launched their “4 to 5 Campaign” on campus. The name comes from the statistic that four out of five people aged 18 to 30 support gay rights. Coccia said another statistic that might affect more Notre Dame students is that among all ages nationwide, 73 percent of Catholics are opposed to discrimination. “However, the problem is that when polled, those same people believe only one-third of others agree with them,” Coccia said. The goal of the movement, he said, is to move from four out of five people who support gay rights to five out of five. Coccia said the organization is currently working on the ally movement and attempting to show people that being an ally makes them part of the majority. The next steps include a larger campus awareness plan and broader awareness such as addressing the nondiscrimination clause. “You might think that in years past there have been petitions and they do this every year and it’s never successful,” he said. “But we have had some big changes in the last year.” These changes include an on-campus office for the Core Council and changes to the sexual harassment clause. “This is going to be a constant push,” Coccia said. “There’s going to be an event every week, I guarantee it, even if it’s a small event it’s just to get the word out there.”last_img read more

Read More →

Nutella Cupcakes with Nutella Buttercream

first_img Sharing is caring! 23 Views   no discussions Share Food & DiningLifestyle Nutella Cupcakes with Nutella Buttercream by: – June 20, 2011 Tweetcenter_img Nutella cupcakes.Ingredients for cupcakes:2/3 cup Nutella1 cup all-purpose flour1 1/2 cups cake flour1 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder2 teaspoons baking soda1 teaspoons baking powder3/4 teaspoon salt3 large eggs1 1/2 cups sugar3/4 cup butter, softened2 1/2 cups buttermilkFilling:1/2 cup NutellaDirections:Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Sift together flours, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Whisk to combine. In a large bowl or stand mixer, beat eggs and sugar until they are pale yellow and thick in consistency. Add in butter and mix to combine. Add Nutella and buttermilk and beat until incorporated.Add in flour 1-2 cups at a time, mixing in after each addition. Scoop batter to fill lined cupcake tins 2/3 full. Bake for 22-25 minutes until tops bounce back when touched lightly. Allow to cool 5-10 minutes.When cupcakes are still warm, fill a pastry bag with a round tip with the 1/2 cup Nutella. Insert tip into the top of each cupcake in the center about 1/2″ down. Squeeze in Nutella, about 1 tablespoon for each cupcake. Allow cupcakes to cool completely.by Babble.com Share Sharelast_img read more

Read More →

Recovery of city’s first COVID-19 patient hailed

first_imgThesedroplets also land on objects and surfaces around the person. Other people thencatch COVID-19 by touching these objects or surfaces, then touching their eyes,nose or mouth. She made a complete recovery, heannounced. “We’re in this together. We willcontinue to fight this battle, protect the community and observe healthcarestandards in taking care of our patient partners,” TMC added. The Medical City (TMC) in Molodistrict confirmed that the woman was discharged from the hospital on April 3. A repeat test showed her to benegative of SARS-CoV-2, the virus which causes COVID-19, according to TMC chiefexecutive officer Dr. Felix Ray Villa. ILOILO City – In Western Visayas, twopersons with coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) have so far recovered. TMC described her as “the firstCOVID-19 survivor of Panay Island” and a milestone not only for the hospitalbut to the Ilonggo community. SCREENSHOT FROM TMC ILOILO FACEBOOK PAGE He was hospitalized on March 6. Mostpeople (about 80 percent) recover from the disease without needing specialtreatment, according to the World Health Organization (WHO). center_img Themost common symptoms of COVID-19 are fever, tiredness, and dry cough. “We acknowledge our healthcare workers, critical team and the entire TMC Iloilo workforce for the bravery and kindness shown during these challenging times,” a statement from TMC read. The hospital thanked city andprovincial governments of Iloilo, private companies, organizations, and privateindividuals who gave support. The first to make a complete recoveryfrom COVID-19 was the region’s first patient – a 56-year-old male from BacolodCity with a travel history to London and Manila. Olderpeople, however, and those with underlying medical problems like high bloodpressure, heart problems or diabetes, are more likely to develop seriousillness, said WHO. Peoplecan catch COVID-19 from others who have the virus. The disease can spread fromperson to person through small droplets from the nose or mouth which are spreadwhen a person with COVID-19 coughs or exhales. The latest to recuperate was a 61-yearold female – this city’s first and the region’s third COVID-19 case. Somepatients may have aches and pains, nasal congestion, runny nose, sore throat ordiarrhea. These symptoms are usually mild and begin gradually. Some peoplebecome infected but don’t develop any symptoms and don’t feel unwell./PNlast_img read more

Read More →

Fund Threatens D’Tigress African Title Defence

first_imgOgunade said, “The only challenge now is how to get the team (D’Tigress) to Dakar and it is a real problem. There’s no fund available for now. We have never had it this challenging and it is quite a battle get the team going.“It is tough like this because we have virtually all the competitions hold so close to each other.”The sports ministry serves as the last resort for many of the federations even though the NBBF board has embarked on quite elaborate self funding and corporate sponsorship in the past three years. They are hoping this time that the sports ministry could be of help.“What we have been told by the ministry is to hold on but I can’t for now say how much that could translate to,” Ogunade added.The basketball federation has only been able to get refund for their expenditure towards the 2018 FIBA Women’s World Cup held in Spain after so many reminders. The refund was received by mid July, 2019.D’Tigress are already programmed to check out of their Eko Hotel on Sunday for the flight on Monday as the NBBF begins to cut down bills in preparation for the arrival in Lagos of the men’s team before their journey to China for the FIBA World Cup. D’Tigers are already in camp in the USA and having two friendly matches against Dominican Republic.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram African champions D’Tigress of Nigeria are programmed to depart Lagos for Dakar on Monday, August 5, but that plan is now doubtful as the Nigeria Basketball Federation is yet to raise the needed fund to execute the trip.The Vice President of NBBF, Babs Ogunade confirmed to Extrasportsnigeria.com on Friday that cash was still far from being available for the 2019 AfroBasket for Women billed to start in Senegal August 10. The Nigeria women won the last competition held two years ago in Mali.last_img read more

Read More →