WHO raises avian flu case count to 97

first_imgMay 19, 2005 (CIDRAP News) – The World Health Organization (WHO) has significantly increased its tally of H5N1 avian influenza cases on the basis of information from Vietnam, bringing the total to 97 cases, including 53 deaths. The agency previously listed 89 cases with 52 deaths.In announcing the numbers today, the WHO did not identify any of the added cases individually, but said Vietnam’s Ministry of Health has been asked to provide data on individual cases.The new tally implies that some confirmed cases have gone unreported by major news media. The numbers push the WHO’s count above an unofficial count maintained by CIDRAP on the basis of both WHO numbers and media reports of confirmed cases. The unofficial count stood at 92 cases with 53 deaths before the new WHO announcement.The new WHO numbers represent an overall case-fatality rate of about 55%. Until recently, the fatality rate had hovered in the 70% range.A new WHO table of H5N1 cases breaks them down into three time periods: Dec 26, 2003, to Mar 10, 2004; July 19 to Oct 8, 2004; and Dec 16, 2004, to May 13, 2005.In the latest wave of cases, Vietnam has had 17 deaths among 49 cases, according to the WHO, for a fatality rate of about 35%. Since December 2003, the country has had a total of 76 cases with 37 deaths, for a fatality rate of 49%.Thailand has had 12 deaths among 17 cases, all of them occurring in the first two time periods. Cambodia’s four cases—all fatal—have all occurred since mid-December.See also:May 19 WHO statementhttp://www.who.int/csr/don/2005_05_19/en/index.htmllast_img read more

Read More →

Messi prefers not to think so much of risk of infection

first_imgRelatedPosts Italy introduces compulsory virus testing for travellers from France Nigeria records new COVID-19 infections, more deaths as figures rise to 57,242 Vidal lands in Milan to complete move from Barca to Inter Lionel Messi believes he is better off not thinking too much about the risk of being infected by the coronavirus as Spanish football clubs step up their return to activity.The Argentina captain says he looks forward to getting back to playing matches. Messi and his FC Barcelona teammates have been back at the club’s training ground conducting individual sessions since last week.This was after La Liga’s four-phase protocol for returning to activity since it was halted in March due to the pandemic.All 11 remaining rounds of fixtures in La Liga will take place without spectators, with President Javier Tebas saying last week that matches could start as soon as June 12.While some players and clubs have spoken out against football returning out of fear of picking up the virus or passing it on to others, Messi is indifferent.He said returning to matches was no riskier than leaving home for any other reason. “There’s a risk of infection everywhere, when you leave your house there’s a risk. So, I think we shouldn’t think too much about it because if you do you won’t want to go anywhere,” Messi said on Friday.“But we must understand that it’s essential we comply with the protocols and follow the prevention measures as much as we can. `“Returning to training is the first step. But we shouldn’t get complacent and we must take all precautions necessary.”Messi said while he is excited about returning to matches, he is opposed to La Liga’s proposal for teams to be quarantined together, away from their families, once matches resume.“Personally I’m looking forward to the competition returning. We know it’s going to all be very strange, without anyone in the stands, I’ve done it before and I found it out,” said the Barca captain. “With regards to being quarantined, the truth is we don’t like the idea of being separated from our families at all. But we’ll have to see what the final plan is.”Reuters/NAN.Tags: CoronavirusFC BarcelonaJavier TebasLa LigaLionel MessiSpainlast_img
Read More →