Questions Over Latest Wrinkle in Deal to Let Exelon Take Over D.C.-Area Utility

first_img FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Amy Poszywak for SNL:The path to approval for Exelon Corp.’s proposed acquisition of Pepco Holdings Inc., thought to be made clearer after a recent decision by District of Columbia regulators, was made murkier March 1.Mayor Muriel Bowser and People’s Counsel Sandra Mattavous-Frye separately announced they will not support PSC-suggested changes to a settlement agreement they and other parties had previously reached with the companies. A spokesperson for D.C., also a party to the agreement, separately said his office, too, is opposed to the PSC’s changes. The original settlement agreement, reached in October 2015, had essentially brought the proposed deal back to life after an initial PSC rejection of the transaction in late August 2015.The District of Columbia Public Service Commission on Feb. 26 voted to impose new conditions on the settlement agreement, giving signatories 14 days to accept the new conditions, at which point the deal could be approved without further action necessary by the commission. The parties were also allowed to file an alternative proposal, triggering a seven-day comment period on those alternatives.All three parties opposed to the PSC’s new conditions said the PSC’s proposed conditions remove rate protections in the settlement agreement geared toward residential customers.“From the start, we focused on affordability, reliability and sustainability. We pulled everyone together to negotiate an agreement that was a great deal for DC residents,” Mayor Bowser’s office said in a statement. “The Public Service Commission rejected an agreement that had the support of the Peoples Counsel, Attorney General, DC Water and others. The PSC’s counterproposal guts much-needed protections against rate increases for D.C. residents and assistance for low-income D.C. ratepayers. That is not a deal that I can support.”More specifically, Mattavous-Frye said the commission’s suggested changes to the agreement “eviscerates the benefits and protections essential to render the proposed merger in the public interest by making changes to the $25.6 million rate offset provision for residential customers, which was the single most critical provision I supported.”Full article ($): After step forward, opposition to Exelon/Pepco deal mounts Questions Over Latest Wrinkle in Deal to Let Exelon Take Over D.C.-Area Utilitylast_img read more

Read More →

Graeme Souness compares Nicolas Pepe to Thierry Henry after Arsenal beat Newcastle

first_imgGraeme Souness compares Nicolas Pepe to Thierry Henry after Arsenal beat Newcastle Comment Advertisement Nicolas Pepe doubled Arsenal’s advantage against Newcastle (Picture: Getty)Graeme Souness has backed Nicolas Pepe to go on and be a ‘star’ at Arsenal, comparing the forward’s mixed debut season to that of Thierry Henry who is now regarded as the best player in the club’s history.Pepe scored Arsenal’s second goal as Mikel Arteta’s men ended a run of four successive draws in the Premier League with a comprehensive 4-0 victory over Newcastle at the Emirates on Sunday afternoon.Newcastle managed to keep the Gunners at bay until half-time but the floodgates opened after captain Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang broke the deadlock with a clinical header in the 54th minute.AdvertisementAdvertisementArsenal doubled their lead just three minutes later as Bukayo Saka put the ball on a plate for Pepe in the box after nutmegging Valentino Lazaro on the left flank.ADVERTISEMENT The result means Arsenal rise to tenth in the table (Picture: Getty)A pair of late goals from Mesut Ozil and Alexandre Lacazette rounded off a perfect afternoon for the north London club and Souness was full of praise for Pepe’s all-round performance.The Ivorian has so far struggled to live up to his club-record £72million price tag this season, but Sky Sports pundit Souness is confident he will prove all his doubts wrong.‘I like him, I think there is a real, real player in there,’ the ex-Liverpool and Scotland midfielder said following Arsenal’s win.‘If you think of their best ever player, Thierry Henry, coming here, didn’t have a great first year, took a bit of time and I see Pepe being a star here.‘He’s got great feet, electric and he’s a baby.’center_img Lacazette scored his first goal since December (Picture: Getty)Arsenal head coach Arteta was delighted with the performance Pepe produced from both an attacking and defensive perspective.‘We just need consistency from him,’ the Spaniard said.‘The way he applied himself defensively he was top drawer, things he wasn’t doing in the past.’More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man CityLacazette ended goal drought stretching back to December 12 with a scruffy finish at the death and Arteta hopes it will be a boost the Frenchman’s confidence levels.‘After the break we started saying we had to start closing the gap on the top teams and turn draws into wins,’ the Spaniard added.‘Today was the first opportunity and we’ve done it. All good.‘I’m so pleased for Laca – the reaction of the players and staff towards him. He fights hard for everyone. He’s been unlucky.‘He will gain confidence from this and knows how everyone appreciates him.’MORE: Graeme Souness slams Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang for comments after Arsenal’s win over Newcastle Metro Sport ReporterSunday 16 Feb 2020 7:25 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link3.3kShares Advertisementlast_img read more

Read More →

DMC OKs TTR’s Marine Consent to Recover and Export Iron Sands in STB

first_imgThe Decision Making Committee (DMC), appointed by the Board of the Environmental Protection Authority to decide a marine consent application by Trans-Tasman Resources Ltd (TTR), has granted consent, subject to conditions, for the company to mine iron sands off the South Taranaki Bight.The Environmental Protection Authority’s (EPA) DMC decision is the first approval for a mining proposal in New Zealand’s extensive offshore Exclusive Economic Zone under the EEZ Act 2012.“However, after hearing and considering all the evidence, submissions, reports and information, members of the Decision-making Committee did not agree in the final deliberations,” EPA said in its release.Committee Chairman Alick Shaw and Dr Kevin Thompson voted to grant consent. Deputy Chair, Sharon McGarry and Gerry Te Kapa Coates, voted to refuse consent, citing concerns over localized adverse environmental effects and tangata whenua existing interests.In accordance with the procedures adopted before the hearing began, the decision to grant consent, subject to conditions, was determined on the casting vote of Mr Shaw, as Chair of the DMC.The committee’s rationale for granting consent is set out in the over 300-page decision document and includes conditions and operating constraints to limit the scale, intensity and duration of the discharge effects of residual material to the seabed, known as sediment plume, as well as impacts on marine mammals.With the imposition of such conditions, TTR’s marine consent application to mine iron sands in the South Taranaki Bight is granted and will remain in place for 35 years.last_img read more

Read More →