Political ads appear ‘active’ on Facebook despite post-Election Day ban

first_imgA number of elections-related ads were still listed as “active” in Facebook’s political ads library Wednesday morning, after the company’s post-election ban on political ads went into effect. The company said this can be because it can take up to 24 hours to reflect changes in the library, even if the ads are paused from being shown to users.- Advertisement – – Advertisement – The company told CNBC it’s possible the library will temporarily show some ads as active and spending on Nov. 4 even if they were paused as of midnight, and said the library should soon correct “any minor inconsistencies in how the data is presented.”Facebook’s handling of political advertising has been rocky in the days leading up to the election. Last week, the company allowed President Trump’s campaign to run ads that implied victory, that boasted about GDP figures that hadn’t been released yet and others that implored people to “vote today” with graphics reading “Election Day is Today,” days before the election. Facebook said at the time it would be removing the “vote today” ads following inquiries. The company last week also suffered what it said was a technological issue that caused a number of ads from both political parties to be improperly paused. – Advertisement – In early October, the company announced it would stop running political ads in the U.S. after polls closed for the 2020 election on Nov. 3 and keep them halted for an indefinite period. The company said the temporary ban was expected to last about one week, but that it would be subject to change.As of Wednesday around 8 a.m. ET, CNBC was able to find dozens of political ads on Facebook still listed as active. Those included ads run by “Evangelicals for Trump” and “We are Great Again PAC,” along with those from Vice Presidential nominee Kamala Harris and the Democratic Party. Facebook director of product management Rob Leathern wrote on Twitter that it can be due to the fact that it can take a full day for the ad library to reflect changes made on an ad. – Advertisement –last_img read more

Read More →

Home port as a strategic commitment of the Dubrovnik Port Authority

first_imgThe Port of Dubrovnik Authority has agreed with the Ritz Carlton Yacht Collection on a new home port, which should start at the beginning of the next tourist season.  Photo: Dubrovnik Port Authority Out of a total of 26 cruises, 84,6% of trips were realized in Dubrovnik-Neretva County, while the remaining 15,4% of trips were realized in Istria County. The problem of large crowds due to the simultaneous entry of up to seven cruisers from which 10 passengers would go on a tour of the city at once, will not be repeated. In the first nine months of 2020, the number of cruises for foreign cruises in Croatia decreased by 95,4%, as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. Also, the number of passengers on these ships compared to the same period in 2019 is lower by 99,5%. It is a newly built ship EUR 26.500 BT, which is 190 meters long and can accommodate up to 300 passengers, reports the portal Dubrovnik Diary. The Mayor of Dubrovnik, Mato Franković, announced in the show of journalist Peter Greenberg ‘The Travel Detective’ that in the future, a maximum of two cruisers will be allowed to enter Dubrovnik at the same time. This is the result of the City’s agreement with the largest cruise companies in the world, gathered in the CLIA association at the end of 2018. But as all conditions are defined at least two years in advance, the now agreed negotiation items are entering the implementation phase. This year, only 26 cruise cruises were realized  The arrival of the first cruiser with American guests is scheduled for January. It is a luxury small cruiser that would come to Dubrovnik for the first time since 2021 in a home port arrangement. So far, two meetings have been agreed, and we expect additional announcements soon, said the director of the Dubrovnik Port Authority. Blaž Pezo for Dubrovački dnevnik and added that in addition to this company, home port operations in Dubrovnik will be performed by ships that have previously used the port of Dubrovnik as a home port such as Marella Explorer 2, La Belle de l’Adriatique, Crystal Esprit, Sea Dream I, Sea Dream II and Viking Star. The ship Evrima should arrive in Dubrovnik for the first time in mid-June. Home port as a strategic commitment of the Dubrovnik Port Authority Two cruisers in the Port at the same time Home port operations are our strategic commitment and we want to develop it because these are the passengers who most often pass through our airport and stay in our hotels, Pezo emphasizes, explaining that these are not one-day visitors who were most called in terms of crowding. on city roads during the summer months. last_img read more

Read More →

Parts of Beijing locked down due to fresh virus cluster

first_imgAFP reporters saw hundreds of police officers and dozens of paramilitary police deployed at the two markets. Workers were seen hauling several crates of seafood out of Jingshen seafood market, also in Fengtai district.Fengtai district officials announced Saturday that the district has established a “wartime mechanism” and “field command centre” to deal with the fresh wave.Nine nearby schools and kindergartens have been closed. On Friday, Beijing officials delayed the return of students to primary schools across the city, and suspended all sporting events and group dining. Cross-provincial tour groups were suspended on Saturday.Mass testingThe chairman of the Xinfadi meat wholesale market told state-run Beijing News that the virus was detected on chopping boards used to handle imported salmon, stoking fears over the hygiene of Beijing’s food supply.Beijing’s market supervision authorities ordered a city-wide food safety inspection focusing on fresh and frozen meat, poultry and fish in supermarkets, warehouses and catering services.Major supermarket chains including Wumart and Carrefour removed all stocks of salmon overnight in the capital, but said supplies of other products would not be affected, Beijing Daily reported Saturday.Some Beijing restaurants were not serving any salmon on Saturday, according to AFP reporters.Beijing authorities also announced a mass COVID-19 testing campaign of anyone who has had “close contact” with the Xinfadi market since May 30, after they tested over 5,000 environmental samples from farmers’ markets and large supermarkets across the city on Friday. Of those, all 40 positive samples came from Xinfadi market.Nearly 2,000 wholesale market workers in Beijing were also tested for the virus on Friday, authorities said.Of the tests already carried out, an additional 46 market workers tested positive for the virus in throat swabs but currently show no clinical symptoms, officials said. All have been placed under strict medical observation.All but one of them are Xinfadi market workers, and the remaining case works at a farmers’ market in Haidian district, northwest Beijing.The Haidian worker is a close contact of one of the confirmed cases linked to Xinfadi market.Topics : China’s domestic outbreak had been brought largely under control through vast, strict lockdowns that were imposed after the disease was first detected in the central city of Wuhan last year.These measures had largely been lifted as the infection rate dropped, and the majority of cases reported in recent months were citizens living abroad who were tested as they returned home during the pandemic.Among the six new domestic cases announced Saturday were three Xinfadi market workers, one market visitor and two employees at the China Meat Research Centre, seven kilometers (four miles) away. One of the employees had visited the market last week.Authorities closed the market, along with another seafood market visited by one of the patients, for disinfection and sample collection on Friday. Parts of Beijing were placed under lockdown on Saturday as six new domestic coronavirus cases were reported, fueling fears of a resurgence in local transmission.People were prevented from leaving their homes at 11 residential estates in south Beijing’s Fengtai district after most of the cases were linked to a nearby meat market, city officials said in a press briefing.Beijing’s first COVID-19 case in two months, announced on Thursday, had visited Xinfadi meat market last week and had no recent travel history outside the city.last_img read more

Read More →

Kendall Moore uses spring to gain weight, adjust from tight end to center for Syracuse

first_img Published on March 31, 2015 at 11:06 pm Contact Sam: sblum@syr.edu | @SamBlum3 Scott Shafer — surrounded by a crowd of reporters — interrupted his press conference when he was asked about Kendall Moore’s spring practice progression.“Kendall, how much you weigh?” Shafer shouted across the Iocolano-Petty Football Wing.Moore’s progress is tied directly into his weight. Since his position change from tight end last season to center in 2015, Moore has been asked to gain at least a pound a week. He started at 235 at the start of the second semester in January and hopes to get up to 270. In response to Shafer, he shouted back “252,” before chuckling.There aren’t many similarities to the position he’s changed from to the one he will assume, but Shafer, Syracuse’s head coach, said he was the most athletic of the offensive linemen. He’s been using the spring to work on his footwork and to gain weight, and his transition has gone well thus far.“My first few years playing tight end were fun, but I feel like I’m back at home playing offensive line,” Moore said, noting he played tackle in high school. “It’s coming along fairly easy.”AdvertisementThis is placeholder textMoore said he’s taken on a mentee role with players like Nick Robinson, Ivan Foy, Rob Trudo and even Terrel Hunt. He said he feels like he knows the offense and is confident with the plays. His main adjustment is learning to block guys that are larger than him.At tight end, he blocked slimmer and more agile opponents. Now, he’s working on men with more girth.“I’ve picked up a lot of weight,” Moore said. “The weight is coming on, and the strength is coming too. It’s just the pounds. Once I get up to a comfortable 270, the dynamics of the position will change.”Moore said he’s going as hard as he ever did in the weight room, but has nearly doubled his daily calorie intake from 3,200 to 6,000. It consists of a lot of protein, eggs and “raw stuff.”With Syracuse shifting around its offense to include a new “hybrid” position that’s working with the tight ends and the addition of junior college transfer Trey Dunkelberger to the tight end mix, Moore has been able to fill a different need for Syracuse.Last season, he made just four catches for 31 yards. His only touchdown was what would eventually be a game-winner in a 27-26 double-overtime win over Villanova in the first game of the season.Trudo had been taking the majority of reps at center before an injury, which Moore said has given him more of a chance in practice. Tackle Omari Palmer said he expects Moore to be one of two potential starters for Saturday’s spring game along with Jason Emerich.It’s a transition for Moore, but one that’s moved along quickly.“Kendall Moore, I’m proud of him for stepping in as a center,” Hunt, SU’s starting quarterback said. “He’s doing a fantastic job. He’s taking a leadership role because Trudo’s out right now. It’s next man up.”Asst. sports editor Matt Schneidman, mcschnei@syr.edu, contributed reporting to this article. Comments Facebook Twitter Google+last_img read more

Read More →