INSPORTS to donate $500,000 worth spikes to champion school

first_imgThe Institute of Sports (INSPORTS) will be continuing its initiative to develop track and field in Junior High Schools with the annual staging of the popular INSPORTS Junior High Athletics Championships from April 13-15.The meet, to be held for the second consecutive year at the National Stadium East, will see some 2,000 athletes vying for top honours.Through its regular coaching seminars, the government-run sports agency recognised the necessity for a constant supply of sporting equipment to enhance proper development at this level and as such, they have allocated $500,000 for the purchasing of spikes for the champions.”We’re going to give the winning school half a million dollars’ worth of running spikes,” said Ian Andrews, administrative director, INSPORTS.”That will go towards their development. If they want to keep them or give them to the athletes, it’s up to them,” he added.Andrews noted that their aim is to increase participation on a national scale.”We only have 22 schools participating,” he pointed out. “The number of schools have been dwindling because many have been upgraded to high schools.”Hopefully with this initiative, next year, we will be able to attract other schools from outside the Corporate Area and St Catherine. Right now, Osborne Store is the only school outside Kingston and St Catherine that will be participating,” he observed.In keeping with that plan, the INSPORTS administrative director said they have formed a union with the heads of institutions.PARTNERSHIP WITH PRINCIPALS”We’ve developed a partnership with the principals with a view of developing the meet and, hopefully, they will spread the word and influence other principals for their schools to take part at the meet,” said Andrews, who listed more plans to increase popularity.”We’ll be going into the schools to try to sensitise them between now and next week. We’ll be looking to highlight the top athletes, who invariably will end up going to high schools,” he noted.The majority of those athletes are generally fielded by Windward Road Junior High and John Mills Junior High, which have dominated the championships.During the recent staging, Windward Road successfully defended their title ahead of John Mills, the many-time champions.The top teams prepare at the National Stadium East and meet director, Maureen Chin-Miller, said expectations are high because a larger portion of the student body will now contribute to the overall outcome.”So far, it’s looking good, we’re getting everything in place,” she said about their preparedness.”What has heightened the competition is because we’ve added the primary school component as well.”Windward Road and John Mills will be renewing their rivalry again, and it should be very exciting,” said Chin-Miller.last_img read more

Read More →

Bafana versus Morocco a sell-out

first_img11 October 2013Tickets for Friday evening’s friendly international between Bafana Bafana and Morocco at the new Agadir Stadium in Agadir City, Morocco, are sold out.The ground, which has been built for the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations, has a capacity of 45 480.South African coach Gordon Igesund, on his arrival in Agadir City, was very positive, telling the South African Football Association (Safa): “The spirit is high and the boys are raring to go. This is the beginning of a new era.”Five new capsThe match is certainly the beginning of a new era for the five new caps in the squad: goalkeeper Ronwen Williams, defender Kgosi Ntlhe, and midfielders Sibusiso Vilakazi, Ayanda Patosi and Keagan Dolly.In an interview with Safa on Thursday, Williams said that, whether he played or not, there were some things he wanted to take away from his time with the national team.“The experience is paramount obviously, just the feeling of being here, the mentality needed to stay here and to see how the guys do things,” Williams said. “It is not easy playing for the national team, because all the best players are here.”‘It is not going to be easy’Looking ahead to the game against Morocco, Williams added: “I have heard that they selected a strong squad with players from overseas, so it is not going to be an easy game. But I still believe we stand a good chance to return home victorious.”With few opportunities to see his players in action before the third African Nations Championship, which South Africa will be hosting from 11 January to 1 February, Igesund will be using the match to assess the performances of some players.The African Nations Championship finals features 16 teams, comprising players who play their football in their home countries.The Bafana Bafana line-up is far from watered-down for Friday’s clash, however. Part of the agreement to open the new Agadir Stadium was that South Africa would field its strongest possible team.‘Fired up’“The guys are fired up for the game,” Igesund told Safa on Thursday. “They all want to play and that’s always difficult for the coach because you can’t play everybody, but I have to find the right balance, mix the youngsters with the experienced players.“Most of the youngsters are looking very sharp and they could give us something tomorrow. I have my starting 11, but there are one or two I need to confirm.”Revealing something about his starting line-up, Igesund added: “I want to see the team stabilised in the first half, and you can expect to see players like Sibusiso Vilakazi, Daylon Claasen, and I am even thinking of giving Siyanda Xulu a chance at the back – so you could see about four youngsters in there.“We have to give them a chance and see them progress because these are the future stars.”Previous matchesWhile South Africa and Morocco have played only four times, their most recent meeting, at the Africa Cup of Nations in Durban in January, was a real humdinger. It ended 2-2 after an entertaining back-and-forth battle.After that result, Bafana Bafana progressed to the quarterfinals as the top finisher in Group A, while Morocco exited the tournament after drawing all three of their matches.Morocco will be keen to produce a winning start at the new venue, while Bafana Bafana, after a disappointing 2-1 loss by a home-based team to Zimbabwe in their last outing, will not want to lose successive matches.Kick-off is at 21:00 South African time. The match will be broadcast on SABC 1 and on DSTV on SuperSport 4.last_img read more

Read More →

31 killed as wedding party truck falls into drain from bridge in Gujarat

first_imgThirty one persons belonging to a marriage party were killed when a truck fell into a pit on Bhavnagar Rajkot highway in Gujarat on Tuesday. The accident occurred when the truck driver lost control while trying to overtake another vehicle on a narrow bridge. .A total of 60 persons belonging to Anida village were travelling in the truck for the wedding at the bride’s home in Totam village in Botad district. Among those killed include the groom’s parents and relatives.PM expresses griefPrime Minister Narendra Modi expressed grief over the incident, while Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani ordered an inquiry and announced an ex gratia of Rs four lakh to the kin of each deceased.”My condolences to all those who lost their loved ones due to an accident near Ranghola in Gujarat. The accident was extremely unfortunate and anguishing. May those who have been injured recover at the earliest,” the PMO said in a tweet.“It is a tragic incident. The government is with the victims,” said junior Home Minister Pradipsinh Jadeja in the State Assembly. He added that people were on their way to attend a wedding ceremony in Botad district when the vehicle fell from the bridge on the Bhavnagar-Rajkot highway while overtaking a vehicle.Minister’s statement”The truck fell on a concrete base under the bridge in which 26 persons died on the spot while five others died during treatment,” Mr Jadeja said while making a statement on the incident in the Assembly.Injured persons were receiving treatment in Bhavnagar hospital.last_img read more

Read More →

10 months agoCrystal Palace boss Hodgson: I’d welcome new striker

first_imgCrystal Palace boss Hodgson: I’d welcome new strikerby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveCrystal Palace boss Roy Hodgson has opened the door to signing a new striker in January.Hodgson was asked about his market plans after victory over Wolves.He said, “We’ve got a man coming back we hope. Benteke trains with us tomorrow and obviously he’ll be fully back with us in the course of the next week. If he gets match fit then that will be to an extent a new signing this year because we’ve hardly seen him.“If there are other players that the club can bring in, I certainly won’t be averse to that because we have a very small squad and we haven’t had a lot to back us up at the minute. We’re on the lookout of course and the chairman and technical director are anxious to do what they can to give me and my coaching staff more support, but it’s not easy certainly when you have limited transfer resources.” TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

Read More →

22 days agoStandard Liege coach Preud’homme: Any Arsenal result a surprise

first_imgAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Standard Liege coach Preud’homme: Any Arsenal result a surpriseby Paul Vegas22 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveStandard Liege coach Michel Preud’homme admits they’re rank outsiders going to Europa League opponents Arsenal.The former goalkeeper says any result would be a bonus.”Getting a result would be a surprise,” says Preud’homme. “Of course we all hope so. What the reality brings, however, we’ll only know tomorrow night. I have told my players to take advantage of this competition to give everything. With the ambition to get the most out of it. “We are going to try to play our football. Our biggest weapons? Every week, we are a team that tries to think collectively.” last_img read more

Read More →

14 days agoSampdoria defender Julian Chabot scouted by Everton

first_imgSampdoria defender Julian Chabot scouted by Evertonby Carlos Volcano14 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveSampdoria defender Julian Chabot is being watched by Everton.TMW says Everton had scouts posted at the Estadio Nuevo Arcangel in Cordova, where they checked on Chabot in action for Germany U21 against Spain. The defender was outstanding in the friendly, outshining Spain star Dani Olmo, of Dinamo Zagreb.Chabot only moved to Samp in May from Groningen for €3.7m.The defender is viewed at Samp as a long-term centre-half. TagsTransfersAbout the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

Read More →

a day ago​Arsenal hero Petit: Nothing has changed since Wenger left

first_img​Arsenal hero Petit: Nothing has changed since Wenger leftby Freddie Taylora day agoSend to a friendShare the loveArsenal legend Emmanuel Petit does not see any differences between the end of Arsene Wenger’s time at the club and their performances now.Unai Emery has received time and backing at the club, as he is now into his second season as manager.But their performances and results are no better than what Wenger was achieving, and Emery arguably has a more balanced squad at his disposal.Petit told reporters: “I can understand why many Arsenal supporters are losing patience with Unai Emery.”As a manager he has a bad record away from home – not just with Arsenal, but also while he was in Spain.”Arsenal showed no character and it p***es me off because it has been the case so many times away from home.”The starting XI he picked against Sheffield United was strange.”It’s difficult after an international break when you have to play teams that don’t have as many players involved in the international fixtures.”But you know what to expect when you go to Bramall Lane – you know the qualities of the Sheffield United team.”They fight, especially in front of their home crowd, and they get balls into the box and put pressure on at set pieces.”That’s what they did against Liverpool and Chelsea.”But more importantly they didn’t show any technical quality on the pitch.”They gave away so many simple balls and had no inspiration, imagination or creativity.”They looked so heavy. This isn’t Arsenal – you need to take the ball and show what you’ve got.”But I haven’t seen that in years. Nothing has changed since Arsène Wenger left.” About the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

Read More →

Photos: Honeymooners Sporting Their Tux And Wedding Dress Are At Kentucky’s Game vs. South Carolina

first_imgHoneymooners in wedding tux and dress at Kentucky vs. South Carolina.It’s Valentine’s Day, so it’s fairly fitting that a recently married couple is attending Kentucky’s game against South Carolina at Rupp Arena this afternoon. The couple, which got married Friday night, is sitting in the upper section of the Wildcats’ arena, with the groom sporting his tuxedo and the bride still wearing her wedding dress. Check it out: Here’s our new favorite honeymooners sitting 1st row upper arena @Rupp_Arena after getting married last night pic.twitter.com/v6k9s9Bea5— Ryan Lemond (@ryanlemond) February 14, 2015There’s a bride at Rupp Arena today: pic.twitter.com/hmWR6RHcPx— Ashley Scoby (@AshleyScoby) February 14, 2015How grand is UK basketball? These fine Kentucky folks were just married in the Commonwealth’s church, Rupp Arena. #fb pic.twitter.com/1QwZNQMDOc— Benjamin Riggs (@bpriggs) February 14, 2015Woman in wedding dress watching basketball in second level of Rupp Arena. (Above A in Whitaker). pic.twitter.com/ZhmxF36x6Z— Brian Bennett (@BennettESPN) February 14, 2015Love and Basketball combine @Rupp_Arena for @KentuckyMBB vs South Carolina. #BBN #Bluelyweds pic.twitter.com/Na3HgVOs1C— KYwildcatsTV (@KYwildcatsTV) February 14, 2015Basketball, clearly, reigns supreme in the Bluegrass State. Kentucky and South Carolina are currently playing on ESPN.last_img read more

Read More →

Peace Country Pickleball Skills Development Clinic

first_imgFORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – Brook Siver, IPTPA Level 2 Certified Instructor and Elya Postma, IPTPA Level 1 Certified Instructor will lead an interactive Pickleball clinic to develop skills.Beginner Clinic – Monday, July 22, 2019(limited to 16 participants)5:30 pm-7:30pmIntermediate Clinic – Monday, July 22, 2019(limited to 16 participants)7:30 pm-9:30 pm $30.00 per person, paddles and balls will be availableTo register contact; rsipe@bluenova.ca or 250-262-5801To view the FB Event; CLICK HERElast_img read more

Read More →

Man arrested in Regina for sexual assault was in Dawson Creek and

first_imgDuke appeared in a Regina court on Friday and according to CBC Regina, was released on bail with no curfew or travel restrictions.  His next court appearance is August 20, 2019.Regina Police believe there is potential that other victims exist unreported. Duke has travelled across Canada, and was in Esterhazy from November of 2018 to February of 2019, and travelled from Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta to Dawson Creek and Taylor, British Columbia, in June and July 2019. Duke also has a campsite at Craven Country Campground. His travels are not limited to these areas, but these areas are locations of travel of which police are aware.Anyone with information is asked to contact the Regina Police Service at 306-777-6500, or your local law enforcement agency, or call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS).  The Regina Police Service thanks the public and the media for their assistance in this matter.Forty-nine-year-old Christopher Cameron Duke, of Regina, was charged with:2 X Sexual assault on a person under 16 years of age [CC 271];2 X Sexual Interference [CC 151]; and2 X Anal intercourse [CC 159(1)]. REGINA, S.K. – Regina Police are looking for potential sexual assault victims in Dawson Creek and Taylor after they arrested a 49-year-old man earlier this month.On August 1, 2019, at approximately 9:15 a.m., police were dispatched to a Regina residence for the report of a sexual assault of a 12-year-old female.  The incident occurred at the residence on the evening of July 31, 2019. An investigation into the incident led to a 49-year-old male, who was arrested and charged.Sexual Assault On A Minor https://t.co/gJMoSYsak1 pic.twitter.com/3Fw1CIAn9W— Regina Police (@reginapolice) August 7, 2019last_img read more

Read More →