Holmes bringing extra bite to Sharks attack

first_imgWhile Sharks five-eighth Maloney will dictate much of Cronulla’s attack in their clash with Brisbane at Suncorp Stadium on Friday night Boyd has also been carefully monitoring the development of Holmes into one of the NRL’s most dangerous attacking fullbacks.Kangaroos team-mates in last year’s Four Nations tour of England and Queensland centre and wing partners in the second game of this year’s Origin series, Boyd and Holmes will face off on Friday night as their respective teams seek to secure their place in the top four for at least another week.As the competition marvelled at Holmes’ development in Cronulla’s premiership-winning season last year in which he scored 19 tries, Boyd wondered when they gathered together in the green and gold just what kind of 21-year-old he would be playing alongside.Holmes was one of eight players barred from representing Queensland in 2016 after breaking curfew at a pre-season camp but more than his many on-field attributes it was his demeanour off the field that most impressed the Broncos captain.”Sometimes young kids coming in can be excused for being a bit sure of themselves, especially with all the things he’d done like winning a comp,” Boyd told NRL.com.”But he is very level-headed kind of bloke and seemed four or five years older than his actual age.”I was pretty impressed to be honest. He wanted to learn, he wanted to be better, he was asking questions and for a guy that’s just got picked for Australia and won a comp…”Sometimes you think you’ve already made it and you don’t need that so I was really impressed with him actually.”I just liked that he was very composed. You can tell nothing fazes him whether he’s playing Origin or playing for Australia or playing in a grand final.”For a young kid he just seemed ready to accept the next challenge and I was really impressed.”Prior to the 2017 season Holmes had played only four of his NRL games at fullback and while his representative jerseys have come on the wing he has established himself as the Sharks’ No.1 option at the back.In addition to his elusive running game Boyd has noticed a significant improvement in Holmes’s passing, making him a double threat against the Broncos on Friday night.”Val’s only gotten better and better as the year has gone on, especially playing fullback,” said Boyd, who plays his 132nd game for the Broncos this week.”He’s definitely developed that pass in his game so he’s got that running ability which he’s very strong at and with his passing now too so he’s definitely a danger for us.”A self-confessed footy nerd, Boyd sent time on Thursday with the rest of the Broncos spine reviewing tape of the Sharks and the attacking shapes that they like to throw at teams.Where Maloney will be on the field at any given time is still the primary indicator for Boyd’s organisation of the Brisbane defensive line but he is also wary of keeping tabs on where Holmes might bob up in attack.”If Jimmy Maloney’s back he’ll be a big key,” said Boyd.”I haven’t seen them play a lot lately so we’ll have to do a bit of video and see what their shapes are but from memory they play like to play a lot of seven, six, one stuff together which means we’ll have to shore up our defensive line on that side.”Every team has that key kind of guy but then again there are ways that teams structure their plays where they always play the fullback’s side. That gives you a bit of a gauge as to where you need to put an extra man or I might have to fill in the line for a set.”As a spine we get together and have a bit of a look at things and that’s probably where I’ll pick up a few things that I think we can focus on in the game.”last_img read more

Read More →

Hunter Borana out with ankle injury

first_imgWhen asked  about his injury he said: “It’s just the twisted ankle so I’ll be out for about two weeks ,I’m just concentrating on my recovery at the moment and hopefully I get better soon”.Borana was part of the 2014 U19 PNG Nines team that won the Inaugural Commonwealth Rugby League Championship in Glasgow.He was recruited from the Lae based Snax Tigers last year and has been a  consistent performer for the PNG Hunters side especially playing second row.last_img

Read More →

Pi and Enith: Valencia’s goal is only 20 years old on average

first_imgValencia’s goal has a great future ahead. Between their two goalkeepers they have an average age of 20 years. María Pi, 22, and Enith Salón, 18, They were vying for ownership after the Dutch Jennifer Vreugdenhil’s farewell in the past winter market.The Netherlands goalkeeper, international U-23, had renewed last summer with the Valencian team for another year, until June 2020. It was his third season at Paterna, being one of the pillars of the team. Nevertheless, the low performance and the lack of involvement with the group made Irene Ferreras begin to opt for the youth teams as starters. So his dismissal was decided, to give the alternative to the players of the house. The goalkeeper left Valencia with 68 games played in Primera Iberdrola and three in the Copa de la Reina. Enith Salón, despite being the youngest, had already debuted last year, playing 33 minutes against Logroño. She was also the first to have a chance this season, in September 2019. Moncada’s team has played a total of five games, conceding six goals. Of course, he left his goal to zero up to two times, reaching the U-19. MPi aria took longer to debut and it was not until December when the alternative came, with Ferreras still on the bench. Sagunto’s side has played a total of six games, also conceding six goals, one per match he has played, plus the Queen’s Cup match against Deportivo, which ended with a blushing win (7-2).last_img read more

Read More →

Casillas, enigmatic: “A very special day in my life is coming”

first_imgIn fact, exercising as president of the Federation is incompatible with being a professional soccer player. To do this, he must first win the elections, although he is expected to announce his decision before that. Meanwhile, next June his contract with Porto expires, so if he wants to continue, he would need to reach an agreement with his current club. In four days, the date that Casillas uses as a reference, it is a year since he suffered a heart attack that has since distanced him from the playing fields. Back then, doctors gave him a year to make the final decision for his sports career. Beyond that, the goalkeeper has already dropped on occasion that the withdrawal from the world of football as he had lived until that fateful day was about to fall. The enigmatic message from Iker Casillas. Iker Casillas has published an enigmatic tweet, which has been deleted just a few minutes later. The candidate for the elections of the Royal Spanish Football Federation wrote the following: “Week important to me personally, a very special day in my life is coming. Many memories are crowded in my head, the first one, that September 12, 1999 when I made my debut as goalkeeper of the Real Madrid first team. Four days … # 1Year ago. “last_img read more

Read More →

Thompson, McPherson impress indoors

first_imgWorld Championships 200-metre silver medallist Elaine Thompson looked at home on her indoor debut, twice clocking 7.14 on a day that saw her finishing second to her Dutch rival Dafne Schippers in the 60m at the Glasgow Indoor Grand Prix at the Emirates Arena yesterday.Just like she did in the 200m final at the World Championships in Beijing last August, Schippers led Thompson to the line with a time of 7.10, with third place going to Ewa Swoboda (Poland), who clocked 7.15 seconds.Thompson’s run makes her the joint fastest Jamaican in the event so far this year along with Simone Facey, who also ran 7.14 earlier this month.Competing in her first individual indoor 400m race, Stephenie-Ann McPherson became the fastest Jamaican this year after posting 52.05 to win ahead of Seren Bundy-Davies (Great Britain), 52.10 and Lisanne De Witte of The Netherlands, 52.49.In the men’s 60m, Julian Forte ran 6.64 for fourth place in the heats before improving in the final to a personal best 6.63 and a sixth-place finish behind winner Sean Safo-Antwi (Great Britain), 6.56. Another Briton, Richard Kilty, the defending World Indoor champion, finished second in 6.57 with third place going to American Mike Rodgers, 6.60.Rusheen McDonald was sixth in the men’s 400m in 49.38 seconds. The win went to Pavel Maslak, 46.02, of the Czech Republic, who finished ahead of USA’s Calvin Smith, 46.45 and Great Britain’s Jarryd Dunn, 46.67.With the IAAF World Indoor Championships fast approaching and the Jamaica Athletics Administrative Association set to name their team this week, it’s left to be seen who will be available for the March 17-19 championships which takes place in Portland, USA.last_img read more

Read More →

INSPORTS to donate $500,000 worth spikes to champion school

first_imgThe Institute of Sports (INSPORTS) will be continuing its initiative to develop track and field in Junior High Schools with the annual staging of the popular INSPORTS Junior High Athletics Championships from April 13-15.The meet, to be held for the second consecutive year at the National Stadium East, will see some 2,000 athletes vying for top honours.Through its regular coaching seminars, the government-run sports agency recognised the necessity for a constant supply of sporting equipment to enhance proper development at this level and as such, they have allocated $500,000 for the purchasing of spikes for the champions.”We’re going to give the winning school half a million dollars’ worth of running spikes,” said Ian Andrews, administrative director, INSPORTS.”That will go towards their development. If they want to keep them or give them to the athletes, it’s up to them,” he added.Andrews noted that their aim is to increase participation on a national scale.”We only have 22 schools participating,” he pointed out. “The number of schools have been dwindling because many have been upgraded to high schools.”Hopefully with this initiative, next year, we will be able to attract other schools from outside the Corporate Area and St Catherine. Right now, Osborne Store is the only school outside Kingston and St Catherine that will be participating,” he observed.In keeping with that plan, the INSPORTS administrative director said they have formed a union with the heads of institutions.PARTNERSHIP WITH PRINCIPALS”We’ve developed a partnership with the principals with a view of developing the meet and, hopefully, they will spread the word and influence other principals for their schools to take part at the meet,” said Andrews, who listed more plans to increase popularity.”We’ll be going into the schools to try to sensitise them between now and next week. We’ll be looking to highlight the top athletes, who invariably will end up going to high schools,” he noted.The majority of those athletes are generally fielded by Windward Road Junior High and John Mills Junior High, which have dominated the championships.During the recent staging, Windward Road successfully defended their title ahead of John Mills, the many-time champions.The top teams prepare at the National Stadium East and meet director, Maureen Chin-Miller, said expectations are high because a larger portion of the student body will now contribute to the overall outcome.”So far, it’s looking good, we’re getting everything in place,” she said about their preparedness.”What has heightened the competition is because we’ve added the primary school component as well.”Windward Road and John Mills will be renewing their rivalry again, and it should be very exciting,” said Chin-Miller.last_img read more

Read More →

Jamaica, T&T in crucial clash in Regional Women’s Super50

first_imgPORT-OF-SPAIN, Trinidad (CMC): Barbados and Trinidad and Tobago (T&T) remain on course for a spot in the final of the Regional Women’s Super50 following the third round of the championship which concluded on Monday. While Barbados trounced South Windwards by 102 runs at the National Cricket Centre in Couva, hosts T&T strolled to an equally uncomplicated six-wicket victory over Guyana Macaulay Park in California. Both teams are the only unbeaten ones in the competition. T&T lead the standings with 12 points, but are just one ahead of Barbados, with defending champions Jamaica a further four points back in third. Guyana also have seven points, but are fourth on net run rate, while North Windwards and South Windwards bring up the rear with two points each. T&T, however, face a crucial clash today when they take on Jamaica at the National Cricket Centre. The hosts will fancy their chances of full points, especially with the Jamaicans having played unconvincingly and picking up their first win on Monday with a 116-run verdict over South Windwards. Barbados, meanwhile, have a far easier assignment against the winless North Windwards at Caldrac and will see the fixture as an excellent opportunity to top the tables, especially if T&T slip up. The remaining game will see Guyana squaring off with South Windwards at Gilbert Park. Sunday’s final, following the last round of preliminary games on Friday, will be contested between the two top teams in the table. Last year, Jamaica beat Guyana in the final at Windsor Park, when the tournament was hosted in Dominica. excellent opportunitylast_img read more

Read More →

RCB crushed as Gayle struggles again

first_img RCB were early trouble when Gayle fell to the third ball of the game without a run on the board, caught at first slip by JP Duminy off a tentative push at an out-swinger from left-arm seamer Zaheer Khan. Since his blistering hundred against England in the opening game of the Twenty20 World Cup last month, Gayle has struggled with scores of of 4, 5, 4, 1 and 0. Kohli, who struck seven fours and three sixes off 48 deliveries, put on 107 for the second wicket with de Villiers and another 63 with Watson, who made 33, to rebuild the innings. West Indies seamer Carlos Brathwaite took one for 18 from two overs. De Kock then took the game away from RCB with an innings that required 51 balls and included 15 fours and three sixes. At 50 for two in the sixth over, the game was still open, but de Kock and Nair put an end to RCB’s hopes in a 134-run third-wicket stand. Gayle fell BANGALORE, India, (CMC): Superstar Chris Gayle’s slump continued as Royal Challengers Bangalore suffered at the hands of a quick-fire hundred by South African opener Quinton de Kock, crashing to a seven-wicket defeat to Delhi Daredevils in the Indian Premier League here yesterday. Sent in at the M Chinnaswamy Stadium, RCB rallied to an imposing 191 for five off their 20 overs, behind captain Virat Kohli’s 79 and South African star AB de Villiers’ 55, with seamer Mohammed Shami taking two for 34. In reply, de Kock plundered 108 and Karun Nair, an unbeaten 54, as Delhi roared to victory with five balls to spare. Australian all-rounder Shane Watson claimed two for 25 with his four overs of medium pace. The victory was Delhi’s second in three outings, while RCB have won one of two.last_img read more

Read More →

Nadal pulls out of French Open

first_imgPARIS, France (AP):For a decade, Rafael Nadal ruled Roland Garros the way no other man has dominated any Grand Slam site.Yesterday, his powerful left wrist wrapped in a blue brace, Nadal delivered the surprising news that he was withdrawing before his third-round match at the French Open because of an injury that would prevent him from delivering the whiplike, spin-heavy forehand that carried him to a record nine championships and a 72-2 record on the tournament’s red clay.”To win the tournament, I need five more matches,” Nadal said, his face expressionless, his arms crossed in front of him. “And the doctor says that’s 100 per cent impossible.”His announcement, at what he called “one of the toughest press conferences in my career”, overshadowed everything else going on around the grounds on Day 6 of the French Open, from the straight-set victories by defending champion Stan Wawrinka and No. 2-seeded Andy Murray, to the out-of-nowhere 6-0, 6-7 (3), 6-0 upset of two-time Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova by 108th-ranked Shelby Rogers, a 23-year-old American.Nadal’s withdrawal robbed the event of more star power, coming a week after 17-time major champion Roger Federer pulled out because of lingering back problems.AIMING FOR FOURTH TITLEIt cleared one potential obstacle from the path of No. 1 Novak Djokovic, who is attempting to win a fourth consecutive major title and his first in Paris – and could have faced Nadal in the semi-finals.Fourth-rounders established Friday included No. 3 Wawrinka against No. 22 Viktor Troicki, No. 5 Kei Nishikori against No. 9 Richard Gasquet, and No. 8 Milos Raonic against unseeded Albert Ramos-Vinolas.Women’s fourth-round matches will be Rogers against No. 25 Irina-Camelia Begu, No. 2 Agnieszka Radwanska against unseeded Tsvetana Pironkova, No. 4 Garbine Muguruza against No. 13 Svetlana Kuznetsova, and No. 6 Simona Halep against No. 21 Sam Stosur.last_img read more

Read More →